Griffin Hospital case managers are registered nurses who can assist you in getting the help you need after you leave the hospital. Some of the help we provide includes making plans for home care, equipment, transportation, and rehabilitation services when you are discharged.
The Case Management Department provides:
- Support and direction to assist you during your hospital stay in planning for the help you may need after you leave the hospital
- Assistance in determining the level of care you may need while in the hospital
- Knowledge of community resources to assist with home care services such as skilled nursing, therapies and other healthcare needs
- Assistance with transfer to an extended care facility for short term rehabilitation or long term stay
- Investigation of insurance coverage for the help and equipment you may need after you leave the hospital
Who may use the services of Case Management?
- Case Management services are included in the overall cost of your hospital stay and are available for all patients and their families.
- The services that you use following hospitalization may be covered by insurance or may also be available on a fee-for-service basis.
- Your case manager will discuss each service with you as you jointly develop your plan. Please ask your primary care nurse for a copy of your discharge instructions before you leave the hospital.
- If you think you may need help after you leave the hospital please ask your primary care nurse to call your Case Manager.
Case managers can assess continuing care needs, such as:
- Home care services such as nursing, home health aides, physical, occupational and speech therapies and social services
- Durable medical equipment needs such as commode, wheel chairs, walkers, and oxygen
- Lifeline personal emergency response system
- Assistance with chores, meals, etc.
- Companion/live-in services
- Financial resources
- Need for short-term rehabilitation or long-term care skilled nursing facilities
- Acute care rehabilitation
Your protected health and financial information may only be used to develop your personal discharge plan. The Case Management staff strictly abides by the Griffin Hospital privacy and confidentiality policy. Your case manager is available to meet with you by calling 203-732-7376.
For more information about case management, please ask your healthcare provider.