Reducing swelling for improved health.
Griffin Hospital’s Lymphedema Management Program is designed for individuals with upper or lower extremity edema following surgery or trauma/injury or insidious in nature.
Comprehensive evaluation and development of individualized treatment programs including:
- Treatment program consisting of customized manual therapy, manual lymph drainage, compression therapy and exercise approach
- Home program – instruction in self massage and an exercise program individualized for you
- Compression therapy – wrapping/bandaging program, vasopneumatic compression pump, compression garment fitting
- Education – precautions, prevention and management/treatment program
Common precautions to observe and discuss with your physician are as follows:
- Skin care: keep you skin clean and moisturized, and check for cuts, irritations or infections
- Do not allow injections, blood draw or blood pressure checks on affected arm
- Do not get your cuticles cut during a manicure
- Use protective coverings when sewing, cooking, cleaning, or gardening
- Use care around pets, animals prone to scratch
- Use care with large projects or heavy and repetitive activities. Plan large projects over several days and discuss with you physician the right amount of activity for you.