Home|About Griffin Health|Giving to Griffin|Philanthropy FAQs

How often will I be contacted by the Griffin Hospital Development Fund?

Friends are usually contacted four times each year through the mail. In some cases, a physician or volunteer may call you on the phone seeking support for the Annual Fund.

If I contribute in the year, will I still receive other mailings?

Yes, you will. The other mailings are sent for two reasons: first, many people like to make more than one gift to the Hospital in a given year; and second, the mailings all contain important and interesting Griffin-related information.

What are matching gifts?

Matching gifts are company-donated contributions that match the contributions made by employees, sometimes on a one-to-one, two-to-one, or even a three-to-one basis. This program enables donors to increase the impact of their contributions to Griffin Hospital.

If a company participates in this program, it means they are willing to donate a gift to Griffin Hospital that matches, or equals, an employee’s personal contribution without any additional obligation from the individual donor.

Arranging a corporate matching gift is an easy way for Griffin Hospital friends to increase the impact of their personal contributions to the Hospital. By taking advantage of a company’s matching gift benefit, a donor can generate an additional gift which may double or triple his or her own contribution without any further obligation from the donor.

Each company has its own guidelines for employees to follow. Most matches are initiated by a form submitted to Griffin Hospital by the donor, or by a phone call to the company from the donor.

To find out if your employer has a matching gift program and learn the specifics of requesting a match from your employer, please contact your Human Resources department. They may also provide you with the required form.

Then, simply fill in the necessary information and send it to Griffin Hospital with your gift. The gift and form will be verified by the Development Fund Staff, and the form will be returned to your employer, which will then issue a matching gift contribution to Griffin Hospital.

What does my employer need from me before they’ll send in a matching gift?

Because each employer has specific requirements of its employees, the best source for instructions on how you should proceed is the Human Resources department of your employer.

Your employer may ask that you complete its form and mail it to Griffin Hospital along with your gift. Or your company may need a phone call from you once you have made your donation. While these two ways are the most common, your employer’s specific policy may have different requirements.

May I restrict my matching gift?

Your employer may have guidelines to determine whether a matching gift may be restricted or not. In some cases, employers require that the matching gift be directed to the same place as the donor’s gift, and in other cases, employers require that a matching gift be left unrestricted.

Griffin Hospital must follow your employer’s wishes, including whether or not a donor may restrict a matching gift.

How do I update my address information?

The Griffin Hospital Development Fund is responsible for maintaining the database for address information on donors and friends of Griffin Hospital. The highest standards of confidentiality and security are followed in protecting and updating this information.

In order to update your address, please send your old address along with your new address to development@griffinhealth.org or mail to:

Griffin Hospital Development Fund
130 Division Street
Derby, CT 06418

Name changes, business information, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and other information can be updated in this same fashion.

How do I make a memorial gift?

When making a gift as a memorial to someone, simply address the envelope:

Griffin Hospital Development Fund
Memorial Gifts
130 Division Street
Derby, CT 06418

Include a note with the following information:

Our general policy is to place memorial gifts in our annual unrestricted funds unless otherwise requested. A memorial card is then sent to the surviving family mentioning the name and address of the donor, but not the amount of the gift. Special accounts may be set up in the name of the deceased, if requested.

How do I make a gift in honor of someone for a special occasion?

When making a gift in honor of a person or an event (such as a birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc.), simply address the envelope:

Griffin Hospital Development Fund
Special Honor Fund
130 Division Street
Derby, CT 06418

Include a note with the following information:

The honoree will be notified of the gift via either a card noting the name and address of the donor (but not the amount of the gift) or a letter. A special fund may be set up depending on the amount of the gift.

How do I make a gift of securities?

Gifts of securities often confer significant tax benefits on the donor. For example, contributions of appreciated securities held for over a year are generally deductible at market value, regardless of what the donor paid for the securities. In addition, the capital tax is avoided through such a gift.

How to notify Griffin Hospital of a gift of securities
When making a gift of securities to Griffin Hospital, please contact Tom Alley the Director of Development. It is extremely important to have complete donor information (Name, address, phone number), the name and type of securities to be gifted (public, private, restricted, mutual fund, etc.), number of shares and the date you intend to make the gift.

Can I designate my gift for a special area of the hospital?

Donors sometimes wish to allocate their gifts to a particular use at Griffin Hospital. To accomplish this, a donor simply needs to place his or her request in writing and submit it along with a gift to the Hospital. If a donor makes a credit card gift online, a designation for the gift use may be placed in the comment box included on the form.

Can staff or physicians make a gift?

If you are a Griffin employee or physician, you can give back to the hospital conveniently and easily through payroll deduction. You can make a one-time gift via payroll deduction, or have your contribution deducted regularly throughout the year as many times as you like. You can also choose how to direct your gift — whether it’s to Griffin’s latest capital campaign, which benefits the areas of greatest need, or a specific program at Griffin, all contributions are greatly appreciated!

I have a question that is not listed here – how do I get in touch with the Griffin Hospital Development Fund?

We’d love to hear from you! You may e-mail us at development@griffinhealth.org or call our office at (203) 732-7504.

What is the mailing address of the Griffin Hospital Development Fund?

The Griffin Hospital Development Fund mailing address is:

130 Division Street
Derby, CT 06418

I have more questions about matching gifts – how do I get in contact with someone who can help me?

In addition to your employer’s Human Resources department, many businesses have a corporate agent who is a company employee and also a matching gifts program volunteer. The role of this corporate agent is to facilitate employees who wish to become involved in a matching gifts program.