Many digestive issues can be prevented or reversed by eating a healthy, balanced diet of whole foods including fresh vegetables, fruit, organic meats, and natural fats, in place of processed food, artificial ingredients and sugar.
LEMON TURMERIC CHICKEN SALAD
1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium sweet potato
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. turmeric
Zest of 1 lemon, plus a drizzle of lemon juice
1 tbsp. coconut oil
6 cups fresh spinach or any other salad greens
1 cup sliced red bell peppers
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- Roast the medium sweet potato at 350°F for one hour, let cool and then cut into rounds.
- While the sweet potato is baking, set a large skillet on medium heat.
- Season the chicken on both sides with 1 teaspoon sea salt, turmeric, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Once the skillet is hot, add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and add the chicken to the pan.
- Flip the chicken after about 6-8 minutes, then cook for another 6-8 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Slice cooked chicken into strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add the spinach to a large salad bowl. And toss with dressing.
- Place the sweet potato, chicken, and bell peppers on top.
Nutritional Info (Per 1 Bowl):
Calories – 315.75
Carbs – 13g
Fat – 20.75g
Protein – 24g
Sodium – 284.5mg
Sugar – 4g
GRASS-FED BEEF AND VEGGIE BURGERS
3/4 pound grass fed ground beef
1 medium carrot, peeled
1 medium zucchini
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Grate carrots and zucchini into a mixing bowl.
- Melt half of the coconut oil into a hot pan and add garlic, carrots, zucchini, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté for about 2 minutes, add parsley, and continue to cook for several more minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Combine cooked vegetables with ground beef. Mix to combine and form into patties.
- Add the remaining oil back to the pan, and cook over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes each side (or if grilling: grill over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side)
- Serve on sweet potato toast or Bibb lettuce wraps and top with lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc.
*To make grilled sweet potato toast, peel and microwave a large sweet potato for 2 minutes, and then slice it into 1⁄4 inch thick rounds. Put slices into toaster and toast until golden brown. If grilling: brush with oil and grill over medium high heat for 5-6 minutes per side.
Nutritional Info (Per One Burger adn Two Sweet Potato Slices):
Calories – 326.75
Carbs – 22.5g
Fat – 12.5g
Protein – 18.25g
Sugar – 4.75g
Sodium – 85mg
QUINOA GREEN GODDESS BOWL
1 ⁄ 2 cup quinoa rinsed & drained
(about 2 cups cooked)
3 ⁄4 sweet potato peeled & cut into large
cubes (about 2 cups)
4-8 oz baby kale or 1 large bunch
1 red bell pepper chopped (1 cup)
2 tablespoons pepitas or pumpkin
2 1 ⁄ 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 ⁄4 cup raw, unsalted cashews soaked
1 ⁄ 3 cup packed fresh basil
1 ⁄4 cup packed fresh parsley
1 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 ⁄ 2 clove garlic
1 ⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak raw cashews in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bring quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and
- let cool.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork.
For the dressing
- Combine lemon juice and garlic with remaining ingredients, 1 ⁄ 3 cup water, and the tahini in a blender.
- Puree until smooth. Add water to thin as necessary.
- Season to taste with additional salt or pepper.
- Steam potatoes over boiling water, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Add kale when potatoes are just tender when pierced with a fork.
- Steam kale a bit longer, until color turns bright green. Remove from the steamer and let cool
- Chop kale.
- Gently toss salad ingredients in a bowl; drizzle dressing over the top and serve.
Nutritional Info (Per Serving):
Calories – 583
Carbs – 85.5g
Protein – 19g
Sugar – 17g
Fat – 19g
Sodium – 398.5g