WHO WE ARE
The Center for Pelvic Wellness at Griffin Hospital is one of the few centers of its kind in the country to offer a multi-disciplinary approach to patient care and the diagnosis of Pelvic Floor Disorders. Our team includes specialist in urology, colorectal surgery, gastroenterology, obstetrics and gynecology, radiology, plastic and reconstructive surgery, physical therapy and nursing.
Together our specialists provide a full range of coordinated and therapeutic services, delivered in a holistic, caring manner. You’ll receive care in a relaxed, private environment dedicated to addressing your pelvic floor needs and ensuring respect, dignity and sensitivity during all phases of your treatment.
Meet Dr. Grace Biggs
Grace Biggs, MD, is Griffin’s Director of Pelvic Wellness and practices all aspects of urology, with a particular focus on female urology including pelvic organ prolapse, incontinence issues, overactive bladder, non-invasive surgery, robotic surgery, and reconstructive pelvic surgery.
How can we help
Do you have any of these symptoms?
- Do you wake up to go to the bathroom?
- Do you leak urine unexpectedly?
- Does urine loss occur during coughing, sneezing, laughing, bending or lifting?
- Do you occasionally have leakage of stool while passing gas?
If you answered yes to ANY of these questions, you may have urinary or bowel incontinence.
Pelvic Floor disorders are common in men and women, but many times the person is reluctant to seek medical attention due to embarrassment, the feeling that nothing can be done or that it is a normal part of life. At the Center for Pelvic Wellness at Griffin Hospital, we want you to know you are not alone and you do not have to live with these problems. We are here to help.
You can get your life back and we can help. Learn more or schedule a personal consultation. Call The Center for Pelvic Wellness at (203) 732-2651.
Patient Care Navigation
Even with the most caring and attentive doctors and staff, cancer care can often be overwhelming. It’s not easy to manage everything that’s going on, but having someone on your side, helping you navigate the course of your care and treatment, can make things a little easier.
Our Patient Care Navigator is an experienced nurse who knows all about cancer care and does everything possible to make your diagnosis and treatment understandable and less stressful. She is committed to helping you navigate all aspects of your care.
A Different Approach to Common Problems
The Center for Pelvic Wellness at Griffin Hospital specializes in diagnosing and treating pelvic health problems, allowing you to get back to living and enjoying life. Don’t suffer or wonder another day. Diagnosis begins with a complete assessment of your situation and current function. Proper diagnosis is critical to ensuring that your every need is identified and addressed by our highly-trained staff.
Below is a list of pelvic floor health conditions routinely assessed, diagnosed and treated at The Center for Pelvic Health at Griffin Hospital.
- Urinary Incontinence
- Overactive bladder
- Enlarged prostate
- Urinary retention and other voiding dysfunction
- Bowel leakage / fecal or gas incontinence
- Chronic constipation
- Obstructive defecation
- Pelvic organ prolapsed
- Pelvic pain (vaginismus, Vulvodynia, Dyspareunia, proctalgia fugax, coccydynia)
- Pelvic floor dysfunction following child birth, surgeries, bariatric surgery, cancer related treatments
You are not alone
If you suffer from one or more of these pelvic health issues, it is important to know that you are not alone. According to the National Institute of Health:
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 8 men experience episodes of urinary incontinence.
- Between 1 and 3 women out of 1,000 report a loss of bowel control at least once a month.
Despite this prevalence of pelvic floor disorders, many times the person is reluctant to seek medical attention due to embarrassment, the feeling that nothing can be done or that it is a normal part of life. Many times, that is not the case, you do not simply have to live with it. Our highly trained team of professionals can help. Take back control today.
Consultations & Becoming a Patient: What to Expect
- Your physician can refer you to the Center or you can schedule an appointment directly by calling 203.732.7202. A nurse coordinator will discuss your past medical history, symptoms, medications, diet and any treatments you have tried.
- You may be referred to one of our physicians for potential diagnostic testing.
- Depending upon your diagnosis, you may receive physical therapy, changes to your diet and/or medication.
- Surgical procedures will not be considered until all other therapies are tested. However, should you need a surgical procedure, you’ve come to the right place.
Physical Therapy for Pelvic Floor DysfunctionAs specialists in Pelvic Health disorders, Griffin Hospital offers our patients specially trained Physical Therapists who provide treatment both before and after pelvic health surgery. Griffin Hospital’s Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Program is a leader in the state of Connecticut. This specialty program was established to address urinary and fecal incontinence, constipation and pelvic floor pain & tention issues in both women and men and will help you regain control and decrease your pain. This department works in conjunction with the Pelvic Health Center here at Griffin. Learn more about the Pelvic Health Physical Therapy program here.
Stop Leaking. Start Living!
Regain your freedom from bladder leaking!
Pelvic Floor Therapy & Rehab
The Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Program at Griffin Hospital was established to address urinary and fecal incontinence, constipation and pain issues in both women and men. Incontinence The incontinence program is for individuals with: Pre-operative education and strengthening Post-surgical management Stress incontinence Urge incontinence Mixed incontinence Over-active bladder Mild cystocele Rectocele Uterine prolapsed Fecal incontinence Pelvic Pain. Find out more here.
Pregnancy & Postpartum Rehabilitation
The Pregnancy / Postpartum Rehabilitation Program at Griffin Hospital is designed to address physical pregnancy and postpartum issues. Pregnancy Rehabilitation The pregnancy program is for individuals with: Pain Swelling Weakness Pelvic floor issues (incontinence, pain) Postpartum Rehabilitation The postpartum program is for individuals with: Pain Weakness Pelvic floor issues (incontinence, pain) Diastasis recti recovery Clogged milk ducts (or clogged lactation sinuses) What to Expect. Find out more here.
Stop Leaking. Start Living!
Female conditions such as
- Vaginal dryness and rejuvenation
- Labia plastomy
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause
- Urethral bulking
Male conditions like
- Enlarged prostate
- Prostate cancer
- Kidney stones
- Sexual disfunction
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Center for Pelvic Health Locations
- Griffin Faculty Physicians Urology HamdenHamden, CT 06518
- Griffin Faculty Physicians Urology DerbyDerby, CT 06418
- Southern Connecticut Urological AssociatesDerby, CT 06418